Data and Research Associate
Position: Data and Research Associate
Department: Data Analysis Program
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Strategic Research Manager
Location: Washington, DC
Direct Reports: None
Date Issued: October 1, 2002
Date Revised: March 29, 2018
About the Program
Polaris knows that human trafficking is a complex business and in order to end it, we need tools to understand the scope, size, and systems of modern slavery. We cannot effectively eradicate an industry that generates $150 billion in profits and victimizes some 21 million people if we don’t fully comprehend the trafficking networks that are leading people into forced labor or commercial sex against their will. We’re building the most accurate maps possible of human trafficking networks, using publicly available information and insights learned from hotlines. We look beyond seemingly isolated incidents and reveal nationwide patterns that lead us to the top of the human trafficking pyramid. Using this information, Polaris then designs campaigns to disrupt human trafficking networks. Attacking these networks at their core gives more survivors the chance to reach the help they want and need, and prevents vulnerable people from becoming victims of modern slavery. With the right tools, we can root out and eradicate modern slavery to create a world where all people are free.
The Data Analysis Program has the exciting task of utilizing data to inform and direct our approach to the fight against human trafficking with the ultimate end-goal of eradicating the crime of modern day slavery.
About the Opportunity
The Data and Research Associate will provide administrative support to the Data Analysis Program, conduct trainings and/or research briefings, create research material, training material, implement processes and solutions designed to streamline work, research new and emerging topics, assist the Data Quality and Reports Manager and the Strategic Research Manager with data quality control efforts, and ensure regular team operations run smoothly. The successful candidate must excel in a fast-paced and evolving environment, be confident conducting trainings, and feel comfortable juggling multiple priorities and projects. This individual will have excellent attention to detail, have proven aptitude at using databases and running data reports, have excellent communication skills, and be able to appropriately handle highly sensitive, confidential information.
- Assist the Strategic Research Manager in building research agendas for a wide variety of topics related to human trafficking, including primary data collection from survivors;
- In collaboration with other team members, create research materials and tools such as interview guides/protocols, surveys, research participation invitations, and interview transcripts;
- In collaboration with other team members, create training materials, tools and resources related to data: tracking, classification, systems, privacy, analysis, sharing and human trafficking operations;
- Conduct internal and external research briefings and trainings on human trafficking trends and typologies;
- Conduct ad hoc research requests, including running reports, synthesize findings and communicate to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Review current and past case data for particular markers, classify the information based on guidelines and enter the information accurately into a Salesforce database;
- Assist in training and task management of Data Quality Associates;
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the Data Analysis Program and;
- Commitment to the National Human Trafficking Hotline mission and Polaris values;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This job description provides a summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by individuals in this position. Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not specifically written in this job.
- Minimum two years of academic and/or professional experience in data quality and social science research;
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize large volumes of material and classify based on established schema;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with strong analytical and writing skills;
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency working with databases and analytical platforms such as Salesforce and Tableau, including experience running reports or data queries;
- Ability to quickly learn and proficiently utilize diverse technologies and systems;
- Demonstrated proficiency in conducting trainings, preferably on technical and/or data topics;
- Emotional maturity and demonstrated discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information;
- Proven ability to deliver results, a natural self-starter who is comfortable working independently; and
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong focus on direct and open communication and provision of regular feedback.
- Academic or professional knowledge of human trafficking or related social issues.
- Internal: Ability to communicate with supervisors and peers;
- External: Ability to respond quickly and calmly in alarming situations. Frequent contact with law enforcement, service providers, and government agencies
- Typical office setting.
- Prolonged sitting, chiefly at a computer terminal;
- Occasional bending, stooping and stretching;
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment;
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate in writing, in person and by phone;
- Requires occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
The work of Polaris is grounded in a set of values and organizational beliefs that provide a common starting point for all of our activities. At Polaris, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about combating all forms of human trafficking and who will strive to embody and model these values within the Polaris community and in the anti-trafficking field. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with these values and our mission statement before submitting your application. You can find a full description of our values here.