Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate (Part-time)
Position: Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate (Part-time)
Department: National Human Trafficking Hotline
FLSA Status: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Hotline Supervisor
Direct Reports: None
Date Issued: October 1, 2002
Date Revised: February 1, 2018
Location: Washington, DC
About the Program
As part of its mission to eradicate human trafficking, Polaris operates the 24 hour National Human Trafficking Hotline. The National Hotline works to improve the systemic response to protect victims of human trafficking in the United States. The program is designed to provide human trafficking victims and survivors with access to critical support and services to get help and stay safe, and to equip the anti-trafficking community with the tools to effectively combat all forms of human trafficking.
About the Position
The Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate is primarily responsible for responding to all signals (call, text, chat, online tips, and email) on the National Hotline and conducting case follow-up. This primary task occupies 75-100% of the Anti-Trafficking Hotline Advocate’s work day. This is a part-time position.
- Respond to signals from victims and survivors, service providers, law enforcement, government, professionals, and community members in accordance with National Hotline protocols;
- Strategize responses to signals, including crisis contacts, requests for referrals, and requests for training and technical assistance, using relevant protocols and databases;
- Input and maintain clear, concise, and accurate case notes and data gathered from signals;
- Attend required staff and supervisory meetings as detailed in the Advocate Manual; and
- Support the National Hotline Supervision team through the completion of projects that are necessary to National Hotline function, as assigned by a Hotline Supervisor;
- Commitment to the National Human Trafficking Hotline mission and Polaris values;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This job description provides a summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by individuals in this position. Incumbents may be asked to perform other tasks not specifically written in this job.
- Able and willing to work an alternative schedule, including overnight shifts and during holidays and inclement weather when the main office is closed;
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation and creative problem-solving;
- Experience, competence, and confidence working independently and as part of a team;
- Experience working in multicultural environments;
- Demonstrated passion for social justice, human rights, and gender issues;
- Practical and/or academic knowledge of the anti-trafficking movement in the United States;
- Highly professional with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong focus on direct and open communication with the ability to transition easily between diverse communication styles on and off the hotline;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated comfort with Salesforce, Palantir, and other relevant software and technology;
- Demonstrated appropriate decisiveness and creative problem-solving when making decisions regarding next steps for cases;
- Ability to follow directions, manage time, work well under pressure, and maintain composure during stressful situations;
- Comfort and sensitivity when working with survivors of severe forms of exploitation;
- Resiliently positive and energetic attitude; and
- Accredited certificate demonstrating Spanish/English bilingual proficiency.
- Internal: Ability to communicate with supervisors and peers
- External: Ability to respond quickly and calmly in alarming situations. Frequent contact with law enforcement, service providers, and government agencies
- High Stress Environment
- Prolonged sitting, chiefly at a computer terminal
- Occasional bending, stooping and stretching
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment.
- Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate in writing, in person and by phone.
- Requires occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
The work of Polaris is grounded in a set of values and organizational beliefs that provide a common starting point for all of our activities. At Polaris, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about combating all forms of human trafficking and who will strive to embody and model these values within the Polaris community and in the anti-trafficking field. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with these values and our mission statement before submitting your application. You can find a full description of our values here.
Polaris designs and implements data-driven strategies to prevent and disrupt human trafficking, and restore freedom to survivors. Achieving this ambitious goal requires both trafficking-specific systemic interventions and broader cultural and structural shifts that reduce the inequities that lead to human trafficking. While Polaris alone cannot build a more diverse, just, equitable, and inclusive society, both the success of our work and our organizational values require modeling in the workplace the change we want to see in the world.
This means cultivating a workforce, organizational culture, and priorities that respect and celebrate a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team made up of individuals with different identities, lived experiences, and backgrounds. Within both our team and across every part of our work, we strive to integrate and elevate the full range of survivor voices.
This is a living commitment. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are values to be manifested daily, in the work we do, the decisions we make, and the way that we treat each other and the people we seek to serve. This means creating space where staff can be included, heard, valued, and set up for success, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, best selves to work. We will not check boxes and consider it done. We will push new innovations and different ways of thinking, and treasure the community built and strengthened by each of our contributions.