Data and Research Fellow
The Data and Research Fellow will conduct targeted research to support the Data Analysis Program to better understand human trafficking typologies and to inform future research priorities and outreach methods. The research will also influence strategic initiatives aimed at disrupting and preventing trafficking. The fellow will work on a number of special projects related to researching, analyzing, and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative data.
The fellow will work directly with the Strategic Research Manager.
Please note that all fellowships are unpaid, generally last 10 - 12 weeks and are located in Washington, DC.
- Conduct research on human trafficking operations utilizing internal hotline cases, civil and criminal case records, open-source data, social media, news reports, and additional online sources;
- Prepare internal research briefs; and
- Additional special projects on an as-needed basis.
- Highly organized and detail oriented, with strong research and analytical skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Comfort with technology, particularly database systems, online search functions, and social media;
- Emotional maturity and demonstrated discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information;
- Commitment to human rights, social justice and gender issues;
- Experience, competence, and confidence working independently and as part of a team;
- Creativity and ability to take initiative on new ideas and projects;
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and projects flexibly and with good time management; and
- Positive attitude.
- Experience providing research support;
- Academic or professional knowledge of human trafficking or related social issues;
- Experience with analysis and visualization of data;
- Proficiency in Spanish, Tagalog, Korean, Mandarin, or Cantonese.
The work of Polaris is grounded in a set of values and organizational beliefs that provide a common starting point for all of our activities. At Polaris, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about combating all forms of human trafficking and who will strive to embody and model these values within the Polaris community and in the anti-trafficking field. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with these values and our mission statement before submitting your application. You can find a full description of our values here.