The number of human trafficking cases that Polaris learns about increases every year. Our new statistics report includes data from the National Human Trafficking Resource Center hotline, Polaris's BeFree texting helpline, and communications referencing overseas cases.
- In 2014, the National Human Trafficking Resource Center responded to 21,431 calls, 1,482 webforms, and 1,149 emails.
- Of those signals, 5,042 referenced potential cases of human trafficking.
- The NHTRC received a 26 percent increase in calls directly from survivors of modern slavery in 2014.
- The top venue for sex trafficking was commercial front brothels.
- The top industry for labor trafficking was domestic work.
- In total, 19,724 cases of human trafficking have been reported to the NHTRC hotline and Polaris's BeFree Texting Helpline since 2007.