Download A Look Back: Building a Human Trafficking Legal Framework Download 2014 State Ratings Download 2013 State Ratings Download 2013 State Ratings Analysis Download 2012 State Ratings Download 2011 State Ratings
Polaris has rated all 50 states and the District of Columbia based on 10 categories of laws that are critical to a basic legal framework that combats human trafficking, punishes traffickers and supports survivors.
- 37 states passed new laws to fight human trafficking in the past year
- As of July 31, 2014, 39 states are now rated in Tier 1 (7+ points), up from 32 states in 2013
- 12 states have failed to make minimal efforts to pass laws that support victims
- Delaware, New Jersey, and Washington have perfect scores, meaning they have laws fulfilling all 10 categories
- 5 states were most improved this year: Delaware, New Hampshire, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Utah